Subject: Re: Unable to cross-compile kernels
To: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 08/01/2001 12:51:19
On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Ian Fry wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 11:54:57AM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Ian Fry wrote:
> > > I recently updated the source tree I use for experimenting with arm26 stuff
> > > (I only use syssrc), and I now can't cross-compile kernels due to complaints
> > > from the compiler about prototype differences for things like 'memset' and
> > > 'memcpy'. I haven't changed anything else on the machine recently, and I've
> > > been able to cross-build kernels in the past.
> > You need to update and recompile GCC.  Matt Thomas changed the definitions
> > of various types (size_t and ptrdiff_t went from int to long, ISTR), and
> > GCC cares about this.
>
> Ah, right. So I just need to re-install the cross compiler package? Great.

Well, if you're using the package in pkgsrc, you're well out of data
anyway.  Use gnu/dist/toolchain instead.

See <URL:http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/2001/04/24/0003.html>, but
ignore step 1 (the patch is in the tree now).  You may also need to
prevent GCC trying to test libgcc1 (I think you do this by passing
"LIBGCC1_TEST=" to make).