Subject: Re: R140 w/8 MB and multiuser
To: None <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm26
Date: 06/30/2001 22:35:17
In message <Pine.SOL.4.33.0106302003580.20039-100000@libra.cus.cam.ac.uk>
          Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org> wrote:

> > > Right, both those podules should be supported (by hcide(4) and ea(4)
> > > respectively).
> >
> > Which means that I need a kernel that has them. At present, the hcide is
> > not in the GENERIC kernel config file, so the kernels I have don't have
> > them.
>
> It looks like I added hcide to GENERIC last Sunday, so if you're using
> sources older than that, you won't have it.

Actually, my cross-build system is not working at the moment, as I have
had problems with several things, and upgrading my ss2 to 1.5 probably
didn't help matters either (from a.out to ELF amongst other things).

And, yes, my sources probably are older than that.

> > Ian Fry made a kernel that is trying to save space so that he can boot
> > on his 4 MB computer, but that did not get any further than starting
> > cron (or was it updating motd),
>
> Did it panic, or just hang?

It just hang there doing nothing. There was no activity on the network
at all.

> > The R140 does not feel like a fast box, but that may be due to the fact
> > that I am mounting root and everything over NFS on an ea0. I don't know
> > whether it is the box itself or the ea0, but it has to be one of them.
>
> It's not a fast box, and NetBSD isn't a fast OS (try booting RISC iX for a
> scary comparison).  The ea driver probably isn't helping any, though.

Well, if only I had RISC iX. The R140 had RISC OS 2 when my friend
bought it from the Acorn employee, and he didn't make sure he got a copy
of it. Any ideas of where/how to get it?

> > My Ethernet hub tells me that the network utilization is less than 15 %
> > all the time, and that is also confirmed by a:
> > time cp /netbsd .
> >
> > That gave me a speed of around 30 KBytes/s.
>
> I get around 50 KB/s doing the same test.

I am using an Access+ card that only has 10base-2, so that may have
something to do with that.

> I notice that GENERIC has NFS_BOOT_RWSIZE=1024.  You might try removing that
> and seeing if things get better.  I think the "bug" mentioned there was just a
> nasty interaction between my Ether3 and my EtherExpress.

OK, I'll try that when I get my build system up and going again.

> > So, it looks like the ea0 driver was not very good at this time.
> > According to the information on the arm26 ports page, this is much
> > improved now IIRC.
>
> I can't actually remember if I've made the driver any faster lately.  I've
> certainly made it a lot more functional.  It certainly _could_ be made
> faster.

OK.

> > But, before I tried that I used ftp to put the dmesg up at:
> > http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/dmesg_r140.txt
>
> Ah.  That indicates another reason why it'll be slow:
>
> cpu0 (root): ARM3 (rev. 0), cache disabled

Yes, that would explain a lot. Why didn't I see that?

> I can't remember under what circumstances that kernel will turn off the
> cache, but a -current one should turn it on.

OK, I'll have to try that.

> > If you want me to test anything, then please provide me with the stuff,
> > and I will test.
>
> At the moment, it looks like your machine hasn't got anything I haven't
> got here.  Oh, unless you've got a parallel printer.  I know that driver
> doesn't work, but I haven't got a printer here to test it with.

I do have a printer and a switch box with cables, so I could set it up
to work with both my R140 and Risc PC. It's a Canon BJC-610.

What about the FPA10?

I also have an AKA-32 in my Risc PC that I can test out on the R140, and
plenty of SCSI drives, a scanner and a CD-R drive. I also have 4
identical SCSI drives mounted in a cabinet that could let me test ccd
and raidframe if we get the SCSI card working.

Are you also using a 15 kHz monitor?

Since this is an R140, it does have the hires mono output, and I think
that my HP A1097C monitor should be able to handle that. Would that be
interesting?

> Incidentally, I'm building a -current snapshot now.  It'll take a while.

Excellent. When do you expect that to be available?

One more thing that I noticed is that when I su'ed to root with my
NetBSD/sparc password db files (probably big-endian), the kernel
paniced. Is that something that is likely to have been fixed, or should
I send-pr it?

TIA!

Kjetil B.