Subject: Re: R140 soon with 8 MB RAM, new snapshot?
To: None <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 06/30/2001 15:49:16
On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> > > Also, when I get this thing up and running with 8 MB, it will be usable,
> > > so it would be nice if someone could upload a new snapshot with a current
> > > kernel.
> >
> > Yeah, I really should do that.  Soon.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help you out here?

Probably not.  My current problem is that compile_et won't build under
1.5, and we need a host version of it to compile libcom_err.  *sigh*

> > > Or, should I rather use my SPARCstation 2 with 64 MB RAM for
> > > crosscompiling?
> >
> > That would certainly be better.  CPU speed is much less important than RAM
> > here.
>
> What would you say is the practical limit on an i386? How much should I
> have in order to cross-compile arm26. I've got a 486DX/33 lying around
> that I could probably get at least 16 MB into. Will that be enough?

It should be.  There were only ever a few files that had problems in 8 MB
for me.

> Also, will the following description suffice for a cross-build on a
> NetBSD/sparc 1.5 system:
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/cross/

Ignore what it says about using the pkgsrc version of the compiler.
Instead, manually install from the version in gnu/dist/toolchain.

See <URL:http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/2001/04/24/0003.html>, but
ignore step 1 (the patch is in the tree now).

> What about config, that normally changes from time to time and needs to be
> recompiled? So, do I really need to have a Self build compiler for the
> host system?

Yes.  You'll probably also need a newer make.

> Will the latest snapshot (5 Oct 2000) be sufficiently new as a basis for
> cross-compiling?

Erm, if you're cross-compiling, you don't need a binary snapshot of the
target system.  You can just build everything from source.