Subject: Re: Floppy support
To: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 06/29/2001 15:00:57
On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Ian Fry wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that floppy support is still not done (as per the
> unsupported hardware list)?

You are.  That list is basically up to date.

> My A4000 kernel reports 'fdc0 at upc0... not
> configured', but when I try to add the 'fdc' and 'fd0' lines to my kernel
> config, I get errors back from config.

This is to be expected.  Floppy support on IOEB machines shouldn't be too
painful to add, but I haven't got much incentive to do so, since my
Ethernet works, and my main machines are pre-IOEB anyway.

> The reason I ask, is that I'm thinking about creating a root floppy, and boot
> from that, instead of trying to netboot. Alternately, could I use a floppy
> image stored on a filecore disk?

Not easily, no.  Your best bet is probably a spare IDE hard disc, and to
sort out a means of getting a miniroot-type-thing onto one from RISC OS.
I'm quite happy to generate you a miniroot image (once I've persuaded the
current userland sources to compile under NetBSD 1.5) if that would help.