Subject: R140 soon with 8 MB RAM, new snapshot?
To: None <port-arm26@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetilbt@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm26
Date: 06/27/2001 12:52:58
Last week I ordered memory upgrades for my R140 and A5000 from Simtec, and
this is now in the process of clearing through customs. I therefore expect
to get my R140 upgraded to 8 MB during the weekend.

In my R140, I have an Ether3, an HCCS IDE podule with an onboard 200 MB
harddrive and an AKA-30 SCSI card. This card, unfortunately, does not have
an Acorn ROM, as that disappeared when I lent it to someone. It does have
a PowerROM, so maybe something can be work out there.

I do, however, also have an AKA-32 card that is currently used in my Risc
PC, and I can probably switch the two cards and make it work that way.

Is there any way I can force the arm26 kernel into identifying the Acorn
SCSI card as such and not probe it like I can on arm32?

Also, when I get this thing up and running with 8 MB, it will be usable,
so it would be nice if someone could upload a new snapshot with a current
kernel.

Then we have the subject of trying to build stuff on arm26. Is it feasible
to build anything on an R140 with 8 MB RAM, 200 MB IDE drive and ARM3 @33
MHz using an Ether3 card to mount source and object directories over NFS?

Or, should I rather use my SPARCstation 2 with 64 MB RAM for
crosscompiling?

I will also get my A5k upgraded to 8 MB, but as the MEMC is
surface-mounted I have to take it to work and replace that with a socket
first.

TIA!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no