Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD/arm26 from a hard drive
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-arm26
Date: 06/08/2001 10:01:39
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 06:15:29PM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:
> [ eh(4) card in an A4000 ]
> > > The latter might be caused by the media-selection jumper being wrongly
> > > set
> > Ah, right I didn't realise that there is a jumper you can change on the
> > card.
> There is.  On my card, ISTR its being hidden away at the back on the left,
> between some chunky component and the rear panel.

You were right - I found the jumper, and now the card uses the 10baseT port
just fine.

> > > What goes wrong?
> > I suspect that my .mk files aren't right for doing -current builds - make
> > depends complains about ARCHSUBDIR.
> Yeah.  Get a -current bsd.own.mk, and things should be happier.

Yup, that worked too. I now have a trimmed down FOURMEG kernel which boots,
finds the network card and harddisk. Now I need to setup dhcpd on my PC and
get the machine to netboot.

I'll post a dmesg once I get as far as getting to a shell prompt :)

Once I get that far, I'd like to get the machine to boot from it's internal
disk, can I use a mixed RISC OS and NetBSD setup, or would I have to dedicate
the disk to NetBSD?

Ian.

PS It looks like the mailing list subscribe link on the port-arm26 homepage
is wrong - it tried to subscribe you to the port-arm32 list! I didn't notice
this until yesterday, despite having subscribed a couple of weeks ago.