Subject: Re: Netbooting fails on R140 (fwd)
To: port-arm26@netbsd.org <port-arm26@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetilbt@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/30/2000 13:43:12
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Ben Harris wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
>
> > A couple of days ago, I sent this email to Ben, but so far I have not
> > received a reply to it.
>
> *grin*  Don't expect fast responses from me -- I've got a real life, and a
> show in Birmingham to prepare for...

OK, I'm sorry.

> > I decided to try to compile my own kernel on my SPARCstation
> > 2 running NetBSD/sparc, and this worked, but the kernel I made did not
> > get very far. Now I am building a new FOURMEG kernel to see if that
> > works.
> >
> > The sources I am building from are from yesterday, so this will also be
> > a test of whether Ben's patches to the PCF8583 probing works on my R140.
>
> Be careful: the UBC integration broke things rather.  You'll need
> sys/arch/arm26/include/vmparam.h to be at least revision 1.2 to get beyond
> the copyright notice.

OK, then this is probably what hit me.

I will try again tonight.

> > nfs_boot: gateway=192.168.169.168
> > root on 192.168.169.180:/home/export/r140
> > panic: Reset handler called. Branch through zero?
> > system halted
> >
> > Any ideas why?
>
> I don't know.  I don't think I've ever seen that panic happen before.
>
> Do you know if it's started init by then?  If you haven't got DDB built in
> to the kernel, build it in, then you'll get dropped into it at startup and
> can type "t" to get a stack backtrace (and "ps" to get a process listing).
> I think it should correctly trace back through the trap.

I don't think I have, but I will from now on. The kernel I used was the
standard FOURMEG one that you have provided in one of your snapshots.

> > I have also checked the /var/log/messages and /var/log/authlog, and
> > everything else looks fine.
>
> Those won't be touched for a while -- you need to get syslogd running
> first.

Sorry about the confusion, I was talking about these files on the DHCP and
NFS server, not the arm26 ones.

And, yes, the point you are making is quite obvious. They won't be there
without syslog.

Thanks for your help!

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Kjetil B.