Subject: Re: BBBB fails on R140
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/25/2000 23:55:51
On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> Anyway, my R140 is now operational with Access+, and I have fetched the
> BBBB program from the July snapshot on ftp.netbsd.org.

I'd recommend using a newer one.  You can get the current version from
<URL:http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/~checkout~/
 syssrc/sys/arch/arm26/stand/BBBB/BBBB>
(once the cvsweb server catches up with cvs.netbsd.org -- till then try
BBBB,fd1 instead).

> *bbbb @.netbsd
> >> BBBB, Revision 0.31
> Machine has 128 pages of 32K each.  Total RAM: 4Mb
> Lowering HIMEM: &A8000 -> &10000
> --------/-------/-------/-------
> SSSSmmf...a***.S0h.******...aaaa
> ..*.*.*aa+******aa.*......aaaaaa
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> aammhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That memory layout looks as if you tried to run BBBB from a running RISC
OS system.  Owing to the way the BBBB loads the kernel, it works best if
started from a Supervisor prompt on a fresh boot.  Start up the system
holding down keypad-* and maybe shift if you've got it configured to
autoboot.  Alternativly *Configure Language 0 and *Configure NoBoot.

For an explanation of BBBB's memory map, see
<URL:http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm26/2000/05/02/0001.html>.

> BASIC -quit "Share::KjetilHP1.$.NetBSD.arm26.Test.bbbb" @.netbsd
> Booting @.netbsd (howto = 0x0)
> 998192Unknown or missing variable

This error message is caused by a bug in the code that reports that the
memory layout isn't as BBBB would like it.

> When running it outside of a taskwindow, in half the cases, it starts
> spinning the bar, and in half the cases it does not.

The prospect of starting BBBB in a taskwindow fills me with horror.  That
doesn't mean that it shouldn't work, but I don't think it will yet.