Subject: BBBB fails on R140
To: None <port-arm26@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/25/2000 23:01:19
On Fri 24 Nov, Ben Harris wrote:

> > > Yep.  That's currently the only place I've mounted root from.  Actually
> > > from a hard disc for now.
> >
> > Could I run the bootloader from an Access+ share and also take the kernel
> > from there?
>
> Should work.  I've booted from my home-grown AUN server, but unfortunately
> the sources to that are currently a little hard for me to get at (long
> story).
>
> > You see, I don't have any other disk interface card than the
> > Acorn SCSI cards, and since they are not supported, I'm a bit stuck.

That is what I thought, but I was wrong. The R140 has an internal 20 MB
ST-506 drive, and also an IDE drive mounted on an HCCS interface. The
latter seems to be inaccessible for some reason.

Anyway, my R140 is now operational with Access+, and I have fetched the
BBBB program from the July snapshot on ftp.netbsd.org.

The problem is that it fails part way through loading the kernel:

*bbbb @.netbsd
>> BBBB, Revision 0.31
Machine has 128 pages of 32K each.  Total RAM: 4Mb
Lowering HIMEM: &A8000 -> &10000
--------/-------/-------/-------
SSSSmmf...a***.S0h.******...aaaa
..*.*.*aa+******aa.*......aaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aammhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
BASIC -quit "Share::KjetilHP1.$.NetBSD.arm26.Test.bbbb" @.netbsd
Booting @.netbsd (howto = 0x0)
998192Unknown or missing variable

When running it outside of a taskwindow, in half the cases, it starts
spinning the bar, and in half the cases it does not.

This last case is from trying to boot from an Access+ mounted drive, as
you can probably see.

I don't seem to be able to get any further.

From the mailing list archive it looks as though other people have
successfully used this program.

It would be nice to get this working on my R140, especially since this
is a platform that has not yet been tested.

FYI the R140 is basically an A440 (no /1) with a 25 MHz ARM3 and is at
present running RISC OS 3 v3.10 (30 Apr 1992).

Unfortunately, my BASIC is not fluent enough to be able to track down
this problem.

TIA!

Kjetil B.