Subject: Re: Shared arm26/arm32 user code
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/25/2000 14:58:47
On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Another thought.  Because of the condition code clobbering aspect of the
> new abi, you won't be able to mix code compiled with it with, say a shared
> library built for apcs-26 mode.  Maybe you realised this anyway, but it is
> another of the restrictions.
>
> Libraries built in the new mode will work fine with existing apcs-32 code,
> however.
>
> Another thing we need to consider when switching to ELF on arm32 is the
> basic alignment we return.  Newer processors with architecture v5 (eg
> XScale) have instructions that only work on double-word aligned memory.
> With the current gcc settings we can't assume that, so we need to consider
> bumping the alignment at some point -- the move to elf would be a good
> time to do that.

Perhaps we should start looking at what we'd like to have when we move to elf:
shared binaries
the double work alignment abovething
Someone said something about a new ABI so that we could support thumb.

Note that I belive that it maybe easier to get userland into elf and then
move the kernel at a later point.

Chris