Subject: Re: Installation on R140 and A310s
To: None <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/24/2000 15:03:22
On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:

> > > I have an Ether3 with Access+, an Acorn AKA-32 SCSI card, and also an
> > > AKA-30 SCSI card that was included with the R140.
> >
> > The Ether3 should work fine.  The SCSI cards are currently unsupported,
> > but making the arm32 driver work shouldn't be hard.
>
> I take it that you don't have any Acorn SCSI cards around, so I guess I
> have to give it a shot myself. If only I knew how the kernel worked. :-(

I have actually got several of them, but no documentation.  The main
reason I haven't done significant work on them is that Ethernet and IDE
drivers are easier to write, so I've been doing them so far.

> > The reason for this is simply that there aren't any yet.  I've been
> > spending most of my time on making the system work rather than making it
> > easy (or indeed possible) to install.
>
> OK, then this is something I could work on.

That would be great, yes.

> > > Is netbooting an option, mounting root on my NetBSD/sparc box?
> >
> > Yep.  That's currently the only place I've mounted root from.  Actually
> > from a hard disc for now.
>
> Could I run the bootloader from an Access+ share and also take the kernel
> from there?

Should work.  I've booted from my home-grown AUN server, but unfortunately
the sources to that are currently a little hard for me to get at (long
story).

> You see, I don't have any other disk interface card than the
> Acorn SCSI cards, and since they are not supported, I'm a bit stuck.

It's perfectly possible to load the kernel from an Acorn SCSI card (one of
my test machines does that).  You just won't be able to mount root from it
yet.