Subject: Installation on R140 and A310s
To: None <port-arm26@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetilbt@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm26
Date: 11/24/2000 11:25:53
I have an R140 and a couple of A310s lying around at home, and I intend to
get one or more of these up and running NetBSD/arm26.

I have an Ether3 with Access+, an Acorn AKA-32 SCSI card, and also an
AKA-30 SCSI card that was included with the R140. I also have a network at
home that includes a Sun SPARCstation 2 with lots of disk and an Acorn
Risc PC with NetBSD/arm32 and Access+ (RISC OS 4). A 486/33 is also
installed with NetBSD/i386 and Ethernet, but it is not yet connected to my
LAN.

All of my arm26 computers have 4 MB RAM, and some of them have an ARM3.
They all have a backplane and, I think, MEMC1a. They are also equipped
with RISC OS 3 v3.1x.

My problem is that I have not been able to find an install kernel for
arm26, and there also is no archive of this mailing list on the NetBSD
mailing list archive for me to check into earlier emails. I recently
joined this list, and so far I haven't come across any information
regarding install kernels.

If I could get at least one of the arm26 computers up and running NetBSD,
I could have it compile continously over the network, hopefully being able
to assist you in your progress in getting an official port, maybe even a
1.5 release.

Also, I can donate one of my A310s to the NetBSD project so that you can
keep on testing on that platform as well.

The last think I need to know is whether a type 0 (15 kHz) monitor will
work, as that is what I intend to use for my R140.

When it comes to disk, I originally intended to stick in a 50 MB one, but
I also have a 170 MB and a 1 GB drive that I can use for arm26 in case I
need it.

I am connected via an ISDN line with an ISDN router on my local Ethernet
LAN, so downloading and uploading will not be a problem for me.

I am sorry that this email is so long, but I felt that now is a good time
to enter the port-arm26 project and there are lots of issues.

Are there any possibilities for cross-compiling an install kernel on one
of my other NetBSD boxes?

Is netbooting an option, mounting root on my NetBSD/sparc box?

TIA!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/