Subject: Re: New snapshot (20000505)
To: Leo Smiers <L.Smiers@cable.A2000.nl>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 07/27/2000 16:56:31
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Leo Smiers wrote:

> In <URL:news:local.port-arm26> on Thu 27 Jul, Ben Harris wrote:
> > Can you get the system to sit at the "enter shell" prompt?  If so, could
> > you try pinging it with different sized packets (512, 1024, 2048, 8192)
> > and see how it behaves?  Do this from a fast machine if possible.  On my
> > system (pinging from an fxp card in a 160MHz macppc), I get huge packet
> > loss on 8192-byte packets.
> >
> I have the following results for you:
> this is from a netbsd-arm32 RISCP-PC 202Mhz with a packet-size of 8192
> ping gave the following statistics:
> 1816 packets transmitted, 1815 packets received, 0.1% paket lost
> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 50.6/53.1/93.3/6.3 ms
>
> The one packet lost was because of the CTRL-C I typed.

Right.  Looks like the driver's OK, and either my Ether3 is buggered or my
house network is.  Fun.  Not a NetBSD problem, anyway.

> >  Come to that, try it under RISC OS -- it seems to be driver-independent.
> ? What do you mean with this, running ping from RISC OS? If so then RISC OS
> max ping size is 4070 bytes and refuses a packet size of 8192.

I meant with the Archimedes running RISC OS and using the Ether3, and
pinging it from another machine.  Don't worry about it -- what you've told
me is enough.

Now to get another Ether3 so I can see if the fault's in the card or my
network...