Subject: Re: New snapshot (20000505)
To: Leo Smiers <L.Smiers@cable.A2000.nl>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 07/26/2000 11:27:44
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Leo Smiers wrote:

> In <URL:news:local.port-arm26> on Tue 25 Jul, Ben Harris wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 May 2000, Leo Smiers wrote:
> > >
> > > Ben do you have any suggestions?
> >
> > Now, only two and a half months later, I think I do.  That's precisely the
> > set of symptoms I got from my Ether3, and which was fixed by my recent
> > changes to if_ea.c.  If you're in a position to compile your own kernel,
> > could you do one with if_ea.c 1.3 and see if it works.  (If you can't
> > compile kernels, or anyone else wants to test this, yell and I'll do a
> > small test kernel for upload.
> >
> Linking the kernel failed with the following error:
> if_ea.o: in function eaatach
> if_ea.o: undefined refference to strtoul
>
> It seems you have added the implementation of strtoul() in some other file.
> Could you tell me which file?

Erm, it's in sys/lib/libkern/strtoul.c, but the file you need to update is
sys/lib/libkern/arch/arm26/Makefile.inc (need at least version 1.2), which
tells the system that arm26 kernels might use strtoul now.

For those who are curious, the reason I use this is to enable me to read
the Ethernet address out of the card description in ROM.  This saves
having to load the RISC OS driver for the card before booting NetBSD.  If
anyone's got an Ether3 that doesn't have its Ethernet address in its
description, I may need to do something cleverer.

> I am still having problems running the kernel. I think this has something
> todo with the amount of RAM that is available. I have built a kernel with
> a text segment of only 795636 bytes. This kernel sometimes manages to
> enter single user mode. Then a can give a small command like pwd, but a
> larger command like ls failes trying to make a core dump. This will also
> terminate the single user sh and enter the kdb.

Hmm.  I must get a 4Mb machine working usefully.  I think I shall move my
Ether3 into my 440/1 this weekend and see if I can get that running.