Subject: Re: New FOURMEG kernel
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 07/19/2000 20:52:15
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Ben Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	I just saw a posting to the handhelds list asking about reducing the
> > 	size of the linux kernel. Whiloe not directly applicable, I wondered
> > 	if some of the concepts might be useful for NetBSD - reducing hash
> > 	tables and suchlike.
>
> Hmm.  I wonder if reducing MAXUSERS has useful effects on run-time memory
> consumption.  I'll try it for the next FOURMEG kernel.

	Its used in to size NPROC in sys/param.h which then affects a
	couple of things in sys/param.h and conf/param.h. It has some
	sane minumum you might want to override :)

> > 	It might be useful to have a set of kernel options that provide
> > 	the ability to be smaller at the expense of performance or
> > 	even features.
>
> I've been thinking that too.  I shall probably make a list of how big
> everything is to satisfy my own curiosity.

	Its possible the hpcmips and vax people (to name to obvious
	groups :) might be particularly interested in this sort of
	thing as well...

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --