Subject: Re: Complete(ish) binary snapshot, 20000714
To: Leo Smiers <L.Smiers@cable.A2000.nl>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 07/19/2000 20:21:57
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Leo Smiers wrote:

> In <URL:news:local.port-arm26> on Tue 18 Jul, Ben Harris wrote:
> > that shouldn't generally happen.  If you can reproduce it, the output of
> > "trace" at the db> prompt there would be useful, since it happened in SVC
> > mode.  Sadly, the debugger's output doesn't get saved in the message
> > buffer, but if you could record the function names (and the value of
> > "scp", the save code pointer), that should be helpful.
> I have attached two files. The dmesg/out and a file with the trace.

Oops.  Looks like I need to automate tracing back through an address
exception.  It is possible to do it manually (erm, try running
"trace" passing it the value of FP (R11?) in the trap frame?), but I can't
remember how.

> I have also tried the 4 megabyte kernel. Sometimes things never work
> as you expect. It now seems that the code for accessing Acorn SCSI
> card is enabled. This is now desrupting the startup of the kernel.

Oops again.  I took my development GENERIC config file as the source, and
that has the asc driver turned on so I can test it.

> I have attached the dmesg/out file (named dmesg/asc) for you to
> examine.

Hmm.  The "non-media hardware error" worries me a little.

> I almost don't dare to ask you but could you build a 4M kernel without
> the Acorn SCSI card?

I'll do that.

> You are still waiting for the new asc driver in the arm32 tree?

Hoping for it, but no longer waiting.  On the other hand, I'm hoping to
get some other hardware to play with soon, at which point I'm likely to
put off doing asc stuff for a bit.