Subject: Re: Quiet
To: Leo Smiers <L.Smiers@cable.A2000.nl>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm26
Date: 06/19/2000 12:30:32
On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Leo Smiers wrote:

> In <URL:news:local.port-arm26> on Sun 11 Jun, Ben Harris wrote:
> At the RISC OS Expo 2000 I have bought an Ether1 card. Luckely I brought my
> A310 with me so we put the card into the A310 and started tinkering with the
> DHCP and NFS settings on my RPC running netbsd-arm32.
>
> This resulted in booting resolving the ethernet address and mounting the NFS
> filesystem.

Ha!  See, it's not just me that can make it work!

> But then the init process dumped into the kdb.

Hmm.  Was this a single- or multi-user boot?

> I have attached
> the dmesg/out file for you to have a look at it (when ever you find the time
> . The next two days it's go'na be 30 degrees Celcius over here in Holland
> and with the Euro 2000 I guess noone is spending it's spare time behind the
> computer these days, exept me ofcourse 8-( ).

It's pretty hot here too, so I can't usefully engage my brain while I'm at
home.  Here at work we've got air-conditioning, but I'm meant to be
working on Linux (*spit*) here.  For some reason, NetBSD/arm26 isn't
important to the University.

> Today we showed some netbsd systems at the show. We had a RPC and CATS
> system running netbsd-arm32 and a A310 running netbsd-arm26. The people who
> did recognize it where astonished seeing the old A310 booting netbsd. May
> some of them will get there A310 from the attic and start playing with it
> again.

Cool.  I've been discovering how long "make snapshot" takes to
run.  Unfortunately, it seems to be quite a bit longer than the mean time
between crashes of the macppc system I'm doing it on, which is a
pain.  Not much other progress, but it looks like binutils 2.10 will have
ARM ELF support, which will make my life a little easier.  I'm currently
playing with the pkgsrc/cross/arm-netbsd stuff, and waiting for the 1.5
branch before I start committing changes to the in-tree GCC (which I think
will work correctly).