Subject: Re: Another one...
To: Michael Lorenz <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm26
Date: 05/02/2000 21:47:16
On Tue, 2 May 2000, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> > > ... then loaded the kernel and died. Second time I remembered that I had
> > > to switch to 256 colours first...
> > *grin*  Anyone feel like fixing rasops?
> My knowledge of Acorn hardware is - well, limited. Next to nonexistant.

This job doesn't require any particular Acorn knowledge, just an ability
to try to code portable, fast rasterop code in C.

> What about switching the screenmode in BBBB ?

I'd rather not, but I'll get it to print a warning if it thinks things
won't work.  That way, the old bootloader won't get in the way when the
kernel finally supports lower bit-depths.

> > > ... the usual Acorn stuff, then
> > > podulebus0 at ioc0 bank 4
> > > Castle Technology SCSI + CDFS Drivers (0055:00f6) at podulebus0 slot 0
> > > not configured
> > > ea0 at podulebus0 slot 1: SEEQ8005 address f2:f2:f2:f2:f2:f2 buffer RAM
> > > failed self test, 131071 faults
> >
> > Pity.  I'll have a look and see if there's anything obvious I've missed in
> > the code, but I'm not greatly optimistic.
> Hmm, ARMLinux didn't like it too - my board is made by ANT, not Acorn.
> Someone told me that there are some rather suble differences between the
> ANT and the Acorn ether3 ?

Possibly, though I suspect the arm32 driver has been tested on both.
Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about either the card or the chip on
it (LSI Logic, who bought Seeq, don't have old enough data sheets on line)
and I haven't got one to test either.

> > > Would it help to put the ea0 in slot 0 ?
> > I doubt it.
> Any idea what it could be ?

Well, I've found the bug, and you were right (curses!).  I forgot to
adjust the MEMC base address for the podule to allow for the slot number,
so putting it in slot 0 might work.  My SCSI card (the card I've got that
uses MEMC accesses) was in slot 0, which is why I didn't notice the bug
earlier.

Oh, and I've fixed the bug that was causing some podules (notably Acorn
SCSI cards) to lose their descriptons, too.

--
Ben Harris
Unix Support, University of Cambridge Computing Service.