Re: BeagleBone Black doesn't boot without serial console (10.0 release)

>> I also infer that it is a logic-level signal, not an RS-232-level
>> signal.
> Yes, these are TTL-level signals.  I've never seen RS-232-level
> signals in embeeded or developement boards (and if you connect theses
> to a RS232 line you'll probably destroy your board)

Depends on the current-carrying capacity of the protection diodes.
RS-232 specifies some kind of limit; I forget whether it's a minimum
output impedance or a maximum current-drive capability or what, but
there is a limit.  Provided the protection diodes on the input pin can
withstand that current without ill effect, you should be fine.  (Fine
from the point of view of frying the hardware, that is.  It still won't
produce enough voltage swing on lines driven by the TTL end to satisfy
RS-232's voltage constraints and thus won't work reliably unless your
RS-232 receivers happen to have a threshold which falls in the
logic-level voltage range.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign