Re: need your advice before new Raspberry Pi purchase

Cause lighttpd was familar to me, I  have used it under raspbian and Debian.

El 22/4/24 a las 16:03, Justin Parrott escribió:
why do you choose lighttpd over the one distributed with n?

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 4:08 PM Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost <mailto:ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost>> wrote:

    El 21/4/24 a las 20:33, Justin Parrott escribió:
     > what do you use it for?

    Lighttpd Web server, home minidlna film server.

     > On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 2:24 PM Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost
    <mailto:ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost>
     > <mailto:ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost <mailto:ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost>>> wrote:
     >
     >     Hello,
     >
     >     I am thinking about buying a more powerful Raspberry Pi than
    my actual
     >     Raspberry Pi ZeroW. I like very much how NetBSD operating
    system is
     >     working although I was a bit dissapointed with WIFI driver
    for the
     >     builtin WIFI device, I feel that I can control the OS and it
    is the
     >     OS I
     >     was looking for, simple and straightforward without bells and
    whistles.

     >     In general NetBSD works fine in the Pi once you get used to it,
     >     everything makes sense soon, you fell confortable and why not
    to say, I
     >     am in a new world after many years using Linux and needed new
     >     sensations. On the Zero W WIFI bwfm driver did not work well and
     >     overcome that buying a USB WIFI dongle with RTL 8188EU chip
    that works
     >     almost ok (with no channel switching  in the router). Now I
    am going to
     >     use only ethernet network connection so WIFI will not be a
    problem.

     >     I have been reading
     > https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/
    <https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/>
     >     <https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/
    <https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/>>
     >     but information is a bit confusing.
     >
     >     "As of early 2024, NetBSD does not support the Raspberry Pi 5."
     >
     >     Reading that I inmediatly discarded the Raspberry Pi 5
    choice. Being
     >     realistic I think It does not work in NetBSD 10 now and I
    estimate it
     >     will not work well for perhaps some years. Life is short, I
    cannot wait
     >     and so I think RaspberryPi 4 should be my buying target.
     >

     >     "NetBSD 10"
     >
     >           "RPI4 general support (but there are issues)"
     >
     >     Seems explained below.
     >

     >           "RPI4 ethernet (Broadcom GENETv5) (but the man page for
     >     genet(4) is
     >     missing)"
     >
     >     Can I be sure that ethernet will work fine and reliable?
    Network speed?

     >           "builtin bluetooth on RPI3 (RPI0W? RPI4?)"
     >
     >     Does bluetooth work on the Pi4?
     >

     >           "builtin WiFi on RPI0W, RPI3 and RPI4 - bwfm(4)"
     >
     >     Does WIFI bwfm  driver work as badly as in the ZeroW? Not
    relevant for
     >     my future use of the Pi 4 cause I will use it through
    ethernet but that
     >     will be a bonus, just curious.
     >

     >           "RPI4 xhci does not work with a straight netbsd-10 install"
     >
     >     I seems that below is the explanation.
     >
     >           "RPI4 hardware rng does not work with a straight netbsd-10
     >     install"
     >
     >     I seems that below is the explanation.
     >

     >     The following chapter is very confusing for me:
     >

     >     "Issues and Workarounds"
     >     "RPI4 xhci"
     >
     >     "With the netbsd-10 arm64.img on a RPI4 (most of them), the
    pci driver
     >     is missing and therefore xhci will not attach, so the USB
    ports will
     >     not
     >     work. One workaround is to switch to UEFI, but that leads to
    a 3GB
     >     memory limit and needing a monitor. Another is to add kernel
    config.
     >     One
     >     can also add the hardware rng. Adding the following to
    GENERIC64.local
     >     results in both working; you likely also need a dtb that
    includes the
     >     RNG. \todo Explain why this isn't in GENERIC64 or link to a PR.
     >
     >     GENERIC64
     >
     >     bcm2838pcie* at fdt?                    # STB PCIe host
    controller
     >     bcm2838rng* at fdt?                     # RPI4 RNG
     >
     >     There is some need to load firmware for the xhci driver, but
    apparently
     >     that works, once the above is added"
     >

     >     Does it mean that using  "traditional booting" you end with
    non working
     >     USB ports? Will you even end without keyboard? I mainly will
    use the Pi
     >     headless via ssh but need the keyboard in the first
    configuring steps.

     >     After switching to UEFI you will make USB ports work but 8 GB
     >     RapberryPi
     >     will be reduced to 3 GB only with no workaround? What do
    "needing a
     >     monitor" mean? Why?
     >     If the fix for USB and rng is recompiling the KERNEL, why is not
     >     enabled
     >     by default in the standard image?
     >

     >     "RPI4 UEFI 3 GB"
     >
     >     "To work around bugs in hardware (that may or may not be fixed in
     >     recent
     >     RPI4) and because not all OSes have workarounds, the UEFI
    firmware's
     >     default is to limit RAM to 3GB. NetBSD 10 can be used with
    more, so
     >     this
     >     needs to be configured in UEFI."
     >
     >     That should be explained more in detail for newcomers.
     >
     >     Last questions:
     >
     >     Do GPIO pins work ok?
     >
     >     Does I2C work? That is important for me cause I plan to read some
     >     sensors.
     >
     >     Does HDMI output work or should I use serial console?
    traditional boot

    <mailto:renegade6969666%gmail.com@localhost <mailto:renegade6969666%gmail.com@localhost>>

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61556020800880 <https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61556020800880>
https://twitter.com/Rose29283220654 <https://twitter.com/Rose29283220654>