Re: Planet Compueters XR mini

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 09:38:32AM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> This looks mildly interesting:
>
> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/planetpc-xr-mini-desktop#/
>
> I have a few of their phones and they make pretty good kit.

It's a mixed bag, really. I've got the Gemini and while I like the device
hardware (formfactor and especially the keyboard), there are problems:
 - no system updates for Android, so you are stuck with whatever ancient
   version it ships with (ok, the Gemini got one update to the next major
   Android release, but I only got that by wiping and reloading the device,
   OTAs never yielded anything)
 - when, not if, the battery dies, you are either lucky (I got a
   replacement battery after scouring the Net) or you've got a new paper
   weight
 - non-Android environments, at least on the Gemini, is .. wonky at best

Kind regards,
          Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison