Re: NetBSD on a Pine64 SOQuartz

On Wednesday, November 23, 2022 4:43:42 PM CST Alex Jokela wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 23, 2022 4:19:05 PM CST Robert Swindells wrote:
> > Alex Jokela <alex%camulus.com@localhost> wrote:
> > > I guess I wasn't exactly clear in my steps.
> > >
> > > 1) uefi on sd card, NetBSD Generic 64-bit image
> > > (https://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/
> > > arm/HEAD/202211221110Z/NetBSD-HEAD-aarch64-202211221110Z-generic.img.gz)
> > > on eMMC.
> > >
> > > I get "sdmmc0: write protected"
> > >
> > > Here's a video of what this looks like:
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SS8qXK4cjw
> > >
> > > 2) NetBSD General 64-bit on sd-card and uefi on eMMC.
> > >
> > > UEFI runs and NetBSD boots and I get to a log in prompt but the
> > > keyboard does not work.  I have yet to try a serial console next with
> > > setup
> > >
> > > 3) UEFI on sd-card, eMMC has been formatted and is blank, NetBSD
> > > installer ISO on a USB-drive
> > >
> > > The system boots and I get to the NetBSD installation menu.  When
> > > attempting to partition the eMMC, I receive the same "sdmmc0:
> > > write-protected"
> >
> > I have used eMMC modules to boot NetBSD on Odroid-C2, Pinebook, Pinebook
> > Pro and Quartz64. None were detected as read only.
>
> This would not explain why (3) above, UEFI on sd and booting from USB, also
> happened have eMMC read-only
>
> > Have swapped the modules between the different systems as well as used
> > all of them with a Hardkernel SDcard adapter.
> >
> > How did you write images to the eMMC module?
>
> I have tried:
>
> * balena-etcher (https://www.balena.io/etcher/)
> * Raspberry Pi Imager
> * dd on Linux (dd if=arm64.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M)
>
> >>  more
>
> I burned a copy of Plebian Linux
> (https://github.com/Plebian-Linux/quartz64-images) to eMMC and was able to
> successfully boot Linux and resize the filesystem to use the entire amount
> of space.

Another follow-up.  I tried several other eMMC modules from Hardkernel.  The
issue of having a read-only filesystem remains.  I also tried another SOQuartz
module as well as several carrier boards.

This might be a big ask, but does anyone else have a SOQuartz, eMMC module,
carrier board and an SDcard that they wouldn't mind attempting to get NetBSD-
current running from eMMC with Jared's UEFI on the SDcard?

Thanks,
   -Alex