Re: Wrong LCD resolution on RPI

On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 10:42:17AM +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> On 18/11/22 19:42, Michael van Elst wrote:
> >You can tell genfb the resolution with a kernel parameter
> >in /boot/cmdline.txt. E.g. console=fb fb=800x480
>
> ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha crying with laughter
>
> I tried that by simply adding a new line that said "fb=800x480"
> cmdline.txt in the same manner as the commented out examples that are
> already there.
>
> I guess that means that the second and subsequent lines in that file
> don't need comment characters and it can just be free text?

It is read and parsed by the Raspberry Pi's firmware.  It reads
config.txt and (possibly) cmdline.txt and parses that.  I would have
to test what that does if cmdline.txt contains mutiple lines that are
not commented out, but

   https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/cmdline.txt%20(Raspberry%20Pi)

claims that it just reads the first line and uses that as a parameter
to the kernel and that's it.

So, for functionality you are probably right, the second and
subsequent lines don't need to be commented out.  But I think that
would be more confusing than what we have right now.  Even if for that
it might be confusing if somebody comments out the first line and
uncomments one of the others...

cheers,
  Harold