Building media player for RPI4 : which one to focus on?

I am attempting to build a media player with hardware acceleration for
RPI4, currently with 64 bit kernel and 32 bit userland, but open to
alternatives.

I was planning to try omxplayer, mpv, ffmpeg. But I came across the
following remarks:

https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer

    Note: omxplayer is being deprecated and resources are directed at improving vlc.

    omxplayer uses openmax which has been deprecated for a long time and
    isn't supported with 64-bit kernels

That rules out omxplayer. But possibly ffmpeg or mpv's rpi option, too,
uses openmax (could someone please confirm?).

So, that leaves vlc as the only candidate. If there are any any known
challenges with vlc on RPI4 (with hw acceleration), please do share.

--
Mayuresh