Re: RPI4 omxplayer: "failed to open vchiq instance"

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 03:09:01PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:

> Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
> >omxplayer on RPI4 (current 64-bit kernel, 32-bit userland) gives above
> >error.
>
> Are you sure that misc/raspberrypi-userland is not able to be built on
> NetBSD/aarch64 if you add NetBSD-*-aarch64 to the ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM line
> in the Makefile? The original package is fairly old and may predate
> 64-bit capable RPi models.

I think I did try that. But do not recollect where exactly it failed.

I came across this remark from upstream i.e.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland

    Whilst 64-bit userspace is not officially supported, some of the
    libraries will work for it.

Since it doesn't clarify which libraries would work and which wouldn't and
that it was anyway not building by relaxing the ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM
constraint I Did not pursue that line further.

> You are also still talking to a 64-bit kernel running on a RPi4, which
> has a different GPU to that on the original RPi models, so it might not
> work whether built as a 32 or 64 bit package.

True. If it's known that it won't work, I'd not try. Else I can try and
tinker with it for a while. In general I think 32-bit applications do talk
to 64-bit kernel.

BTW what's the correlation between these two userlands:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland
https://github.com/jaredmcneill/userland [NetBSD's]

Asking just to decide which one to pick, if I were to get into
experimenting.

--
Mayuresh