Using serial port on RPi

Hi, all,

I'd like to use the primary serial port on a Raspberry Pi 3. However, I haven't quite figured out how to tell the kernel to not use the serial port to mirror the graphics console.

config.txt has enable_uart=0, cmdline.txt has console=fb, and the boot process doesn't use the serial port until the kernel boots enough to configure it:

(nothing)
[   1.0000030] com0 at simplebus1: BCM AUX UART, 1-byte FIFO
[   1.0000030] com0: console
[   1.0000030] com0: interrupting on icu irq 29

How does one tell the kernel to only use the framebuffer and not the serial port for its console?

John