Re: RPI3 sd lockups?

Michael Cheponis <michael.cheponis%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

[snip]

> Then ran this:
>
> # nice dd if=/dev/rsd2 of=/dev/null
> 62521344+0 records in
> 62521344+0 records out
> 32010928128 bytes transferred in 30505.600 secs (1049345 bytes/sec)
> #
>
> No errors were reported in /var/log/messages
>
> So now I'm wondering: was I hacked?  Or is dd not the best way to test for
> bad sectors?  Or, has the SD card somehow re-mapped the bad sectors?  Or?

[snip]

While I would not suggest that you were not hacked, what you report
about the behavior of your SD card I have also seen.  Mostly, I have
noticed that they just start to go strange, files go missing, fsck
sometimes finds things when it should not have, or finds things when
forced run a second time on what was a clean filesystem, and mostly no
write errors reported.  Every once in a while, depending on the brand, I
have had them go read only.

I burned though a lot of SD cards, until I turned off atime then it got
a lot better.  But, as for being able to tell when they start to go
wrong.... no idea...

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org