Re: Xfce 4.14 freeze on second time on NetBSD 9.0-RC1 on NanoPi M1 Allwinner H3 1GB RAM

On Mon, 09 Dec 2019, at 12:48:29 +0500, Dmitry Postolov wrote:
> Hi to NetBSD arm community! Sorry for my bad English...
>
> Please, help me to solve the problem with Xfce 4.14 freeze on second
> run time on NetBSD 9.0-RC1
> on NanoPi M1 Allwinner H3 1GB RAM.
>
> NetBSD 9.0 RC1 from Jared McNeill site: invisible.ca/arm.
>
> On first start Xfce 4.14 (build from pkgsrc) all OK, but if logout and
> start Xfce again, Xfce freeze.

Hello,

I don't have any ARM hardware to test this with, but this may be related
to an issue I see on NetBSD/amd64. So, first question: in the file
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml (found from your home
directory), is the "use_compositing" setting "true" or "false"? If
"true", please try switching it to "false".

In the past, there were known issues with xfwm4 + compositing + XPresent
which led to freezes. From what I saw, those related to an X.org bug
that would already be long fixed in NetBSD's sources. But perhaps
there's another issue like this. (Or perhaps this is an ARM-specific bug
you're hitting somehow.)

Regards,

Dave