Re: Tegra K1 Chromebook

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 12:42:35AM -0500, Farhan Khan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to install NetBSD on my Chromebook Nyan ARMv7 device. However, I cannot figure out the process. It appears to be the same device listed here:
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/tegra-chromebook/
>
> I booted up developer mode and was able to run Kali Linux off of a USB disk, so I know that functionality works. But I do not know what NetBSD image I should write to a USB to boot NetBSD. How would I get started?

Here's me recalling my memory of the state of this:

jakllsch> so, i looked at this a bit, although without having a actual
          nyan to play with
jakllsch> and jmcneill has/had a K1 chromebook
jakllsch> we basically decided that the next step was getting console access
jakllsch> trouble is, the chromeos debug connector is unpopulated, and
          has a very fine pin pitch
jakllsch> so, if you can tack tiny wires onto the appropriate pins on that,
          you'll be on your way
jakllsch> i also looked at getting coreboot/depthcharge going on the Jetson TK1,
          but found it more difficult to switch the console around than
	  anticipated
jakllsch> (Jetson TK1 and Nyan use different UART pins for the console,
          if not even a different UART unit)
jakllsch> without a console, you'll be trying to get a lot of critical
          steps to happen blindly
jakllsch> other things that won't already work: the internal keyboard
          (connected via SPI and a ChromeOS EC), the internal display
	  (connected via LVDS or eDP or something that's not HDMI)
jakllsch> and you may have trouble with (external) HDMI or USB
jakllsch> my recollection was Jared got as far as getting a kernel loaded,
          and possibly executing, but couldn't figure out what wasn't
          working

	Jonathan Kollasch