Re: No kernel in RockPro64 image

It should have an elf /netbsd in the NetBSD partition.
In /EFI/BOOT/ you should only find the *.efi bootloader.

This is default setup on all aarch64 machines when we boot via EFI, and
the root of the netbsd partition is the default search path for the
bootloader.

Why do you think you need to interrupt the boot countdown and enter a different
kernel name?

I just got a new new image and wrote it to an SD card:

NetBSD-evbarm-aarch64-201902222120Z-rockpro64.img.gz

On boot, I get:

NetBSD/evbarm EFI Boot (aarch64), Revision 1.8 (Fri Feb 22 18:17:22 UTC
2019) (from NetBSD 8.99.34)
Press return to boot now, any other key for boot prompt
booting netbsd - starting in 0 seconds.
open netbsd: Invalid argument
boot: netbsd: Invalid argument
booting netbsd.gz - starting in 0 seconds.
open netbsd.gz: Invalid argument
boot: netbsd.gz: Invalid argument

Mounting the SD card in another NetBSD system, I see /netbsd is in the root of the filesystem:

netbsd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, ARM aarch64, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for NetBSD 8.99.34, not stripped

Going back to the EFI bootloader prompt, entering "boot hd0a:netbsd" works. Simply "boot netbsd" does not, nor does allowing it to count down itself.

Maybe putting a kernel in EFI/BOOT doesn't work, but playing around changed something else so that the default started working. A kernel in there right now doesn't work.

Hmmm...

John