Re: NetBSD 6.0 and earmv7hf

On 02/13/19 11:27, Ernst J. Oud wrote:
> "Kulesa, Craig A - (ckulesa)" <ckulesa%email.arizona.edu@localhost> wrote in message
>
> But the SOC in the latest TC (BCM53019) is earmv7hf according to all info I
> can find (same SOC as in Raspberry Pi2).

*Hardware* is neither EABI nor OABI, per se.  Your BCM53019 can handle
armv7 instructions (and nominally instruction sets prior to that, such
as armv6, armv5, etc).

The choice of OABI or EABI is a software choice.   NetBSD 6 releases
support the OABI.  NetBSD 7 supports EABI and OABI, but everything from
armv5 and up went to EABI.  So did specific armv4 ports.

"earmv7hf" is NetBSD shorthand for "ARM EABI, with armv7 instructions
and hard-float binaries".  It requires NetBSD 7 and later.

We just need to figure out what Apple did on your 5th generation Time
Capsule.  Based on your results of running "file" on a binary, it looks
like the OABI is used ("ARM" is reported, instead of "EABI5"), but older
OABI binaries from NetBSD 6 pkgsrc will not run.

-Craig