Re: rust is not avalaible on netbsd aarch64

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 12:12:19PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 10:51:33AM +0100, Alejandro Sánchez Marín wrote:
> > I tried to compile firefox via pkgsrc and I can?t because rust isn?t
> > avalaible on aarch64 arch.
>
> There have been fixes upstream but it is a bit tricky for pkgsrc due to
> the bizarre build system to backport these fixes.
>
> Hopefully it will be better with upcoming new releases.

That's my hope as well.

While rust-1.29 (released circa late August) has aarch64-unknown-netbsd support,
the deeply-embedded libc crate didn't function on this target until 0.2.44
(tag points to a commit a bit over two weeks old).  The Cargo.lock files
in a number of other crates (including many parts of the 'rust' package)
still point at the 0.2.42 or 0.2.43 versions of the libc crate.  Thus
the complete rust package probably will not be available out-of-the-box
on aarch64 until Rust 1.32 or 1.33.

Additionally, pkgsrc/www/firefox needs nodejs to build.  Nodejs doesn't
currently build on NetBSD/aarch64 either.

As such I've been trying to build www/firefox60, using a non-pkgsrc
rust, and with a newer libc crate.  So far I haven't gotten a build of
firefox60 to complete on aarch64; however I have gotten all the
pkgsrc dependencies to build.

	Jonathan Kollasch