Re: Driver for Raspberry Pi 3B+ ethernet adapter (Microchip LAN75xx/LAN78xx)

Thanks Rin for the hard work invested in developing this driver.
Please will DPDK help, in anyway, to boost the packet processing capability of the RPi 3B+ NIC for GTPv1-u packets?

I am working on an LTE radio base station (eNodeB) based on the rpi3 B+ and I want to implement a high performance user plane for the s1-u interface.

Regards,
Austin

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM Rin Okuyama <rokuyama%rk.phys.keio.ac.jp@localhost> wrote:
On 2018/08/26 12:45, Swift Griggs wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2018, Rin Okuyama wrote:
>> I've ported mue(4), driver for Microchip LAN75xx/LAN78xx known as internal NIC of Raspberry Pi 3B+, from OpenBSD.
>
> Thanks a bunch for that, Okuyama-san! It's going to be great to have it. I have an ignorant question. Is this chip different from what's in the 3B (non-plus) and RPI2? I heard from a friend that he had really bad performance from his RPI3 ethernet, and I remember coming across other folks online who complained about it.
>
> I'm excited about this. I'll have to do some iperf testing. Fun!
>
> Thanks a ton for all your work on NetBSD ARM. It's so much win for NetBSD and I love reading your technical notes, as usual. You and Jared are unbelivablely wonderful assets to the project.
>
> Thanks!
>    -Swift

Thank you very much for your kind message!

Yes, the chip is different from those in RPI2 and 3B. They have LAN95xx
100BASE-T NIC, which is supported by usmsc(4). On the other hand,
NIC of RPI3B+ supports 1000BASE-T FDX. Altough the speed is restricted
due to USB2, the performance is improved somewhat.

Thanks,
rin