openssl and armv8 probing on an armv7

I have a program which is crashing at start, and on running it under gdb
I am seeing SIGILL from probing armv8 instructions.  This is with a
userland and kernl built with earmv7hf-el.

It would seem to me that a system built for v7 should not be trying to
execute instructions only defined in v8.  But perhaps that's  not the
plan, and the intent is to enable asm assist if the cpu supports it,
even if built for a lower cpu type.

It could be that my problem is unrelated and on running the probes all
run/fail quietly and then hit the real bug.

Has anyone else seen this?