Machine Independent Bootloader as GSoC Project

Hi,

I am Saad Mahmood. I am writing this email to apply for Machine Independent Bootloader GSoC project.

A little about me: I am at my senior year at SEECS-NUST studying EECS. I like computers and electronics. My interests are open source HW&SW and their interfaces. I have worked with embedded Bootloaders on automotives. These bootloaders communicated on the CAN bus and I as an intern was given the task of verifying the bootloader functionality by having a C/C++ software that could send & listen to the Bootloader on CAN. I also know the basics of a bootloader on a computer, like how it handles ‘init’ of HW and transferring control to the OS etc.

I also have read some preliminary material relating to the project like UEFI, FDT and U-Boot. The mentor’s email (Jared McNeill) was not on the project page so I am using port-arm for contact and discussion on the project. I will propose a timeline after talking to Jared about the project and the milestones.

I also have attached my resume and NetBSD questionnaire for GSoC projects with this email.

Best regards,

SAAD MAHMOOD
Bachelors of Electrical Engineering | Class of 2018
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (SEECS)
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
Sector H-12, Islamabad

Pakistan