Re: 7.1 on Beaglebone Black - Things I Hope are Fixed

Warner Losh wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Henry B (Hank) Hotz, CISSP <hbhotz%oxy.edu@localhost>
> wrote:
> >
> > FFS is not supported by the delivered u-boot. Not a surprise, nor NetBSDs
> > fault of course. I'm working around it by putting the kernel on the
> > on-board boot partition so far, and the kernel can read the root BSD
> > filesystem.
> >

> There's people on the FreeBSD side of the house that are working on getting
> a FFS into u-boot.

Would a short term fix be to create a multi-stage boot, similar to what
x86 does?  Put a small bootloader on a u-boot supported partition of
some sort that's only job is to load /boot from a UFS filesystem, and
then that bootloader loads the kernel.  This would also be compatible
with older boards/firmware.

Apologies if this is already what ARM boards do.  I've only ever
netbooted ARM boards from u-boot.

Cheers,
Simon.