Re: Fwd: Gumstix Verdex not booting with NetBSD 7.0 and newer

On 01/03/17 16:39, smesgr wrote:
Hi Nick,

indeed the r0/r1 swap seem to be the problem of -current release. Should I file a PR for this?

Should be fixed now

Thanks, solved the issue for me. I further investigated the 7.0ish-kernel panic: panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "ram_size <= KERNEL_VM_BASE - KERNEL_BASE" failed: file "/usr/src/sys/arch/evbarm/gumstix/gumstix_machdep.c", line 487

My first assumtion the ram size calculation was off, isn't correct. The values are:
ram_size: 134217728 KERNEL_VM: 0xc1000000 KERNEL_BASE: 0xc0000000

That KASSERT is checking that all memory can be mapped in the area

     [KERNEL_BASE - KERNEL_VM_BASE)

which it obviously can't with that KERNEL_VM_BASE.

gumstix seems to have it's peripherals mapped at

    #define GUMSTIX_IO_AREA_VBASE 0xfd000000

and above, so you should be safe to put KERNEL_VM_BASE at 0xc8000000 or even
further up, but don't forget to adjust KERNEL_VM_SIZE so that it doesn't overlap
the peripherals.

Nick