Re: cheap 8-core ARM board

What I am still hoping for is a MIPS based board that can compete
against a RasbPI 2 or 3 - just to be exotic. :-) I know there is a
MIPS board out there, but it is quite slow in comparison.

Well, one of the faster MIPS systems I'm currently running are the
Ubiquity Networks Edgerouter Lite 3 (Erlite3 for short). Dual core

It's funny that with all of the boards out there, we can't get a fast MIPS CPU, but we can get a MIPS board with two or more real gigabit ethernets, and we can get any of a few dozen ARM boards with tons of multi-gigaherz cores but none with two (or more) real gigabit interfaces. I think there are lots of us who are waiting for the ideal low power routing device.

The EdgeRouter is hit-and-miss. It was working, then not, then working. Right now we have alignment issues which make it unusable for routing:

http://gnats.netbsd.org/50766

Also, the installation kernel has the USB lockup problem that the OS had. Luckily, that's fixed in NetBSD proper now, but then there's the issue that big endian filesystems created on little endian systems aren't usable on the EdgeRouter...

Soon!

John