Re: 2016-10-01-netbsd-raspi-earmv6hf.img (Re: Raspberry Pi update please.)

On 10/03/16 11:34, Michael van Elst wrote:

>> different hardware ( I'm sure I've seen it on macppc and sparc64,
>> probably on arm and evbmips as well ), the mouse would detach and then
>> immediately re-attach, seemingly at random, even with X running. Didn't
>> have a noticeable impact on using it though.
>
> That depends on the mouse hardware. Newer mice seem to do that when not used,
> as soon as e.g. X starts the mouse doesn't detach anymore.

We actually had this same problem at work on my boss's laptop. The mouse
just kept disconnecting - except it wouldn't reconnect until it was
unplugged and plugged in again. This was using OpenSuse 13.1 and 13.2.
We never actually found out what was causing the problem. The mouse was
pretty old and we replaced it with a newer one which then did work -
however, we tried several models before we found that one. All the mice
we tried that kept disconnecting (some on them reconnected after you
pushed a button) did not do the same when connected to a desktop system
running the same OS. There they just worked fine.

There are possibly some issues with the USB-Stack in Linux (and possibly
BSD too). I remember that I could completely crash an internal USB-hub
by unplugging a USB-HDD (which was cleanly dismounted and everything). A
mouse connected to the same hub was completely lost to the system (light
went off and everything). I could only reboot the system to get the
mouse and a USB keyboard back. My "workaround" was to use a PS/2
keyboard and mouse. :-)

I later reduced the problem a little by inserting a USB card and found
out that the one with a VIA chip crashed very frequently when I unplug
the drive while the Renesas crashed only every three or four "unplugs" -
which in practice wasn't much of an improvement but it was very noticeable.

Don't know if this info helps but it may help look in the right direction.

Best regards,
Chris