Re: Looking for ARM hardware

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM, John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:
>>> I'm about to order one of these:
>>> http://www.banana-pi.org/r1.html
>>

>> But I gave up on the firewall idea after googling a bit about the R1,
>> which is a bit strange. AFAIK all the Ethernet ports are combined into a
>> BCM53125 switch thingy + a real ethernet which is connected to the switch.
>> Hence, while it is possible to split these up via VLANs they are
>> electrically a single bridged infrastructure. So, eg. if the box crashes but
>> power is still on then your outside will effectively be bridged to your
>> inside, which I consider a bit pessimal for a firewall.
>

> I was under the impression that the device had two real gigabit ports. I
> know - I'm SO picky, wanting vendors to actually SAY what hardware we're
> getting! Having everything go through one gigabit using VLANs isn't ideal,
> but the real question is how much throughput it can handle.
>
> The VLAN configuration shouldn't change if the OS crashes.

I think what he's saying (or what I heard) is if there isn't some
piece of software there to enforce the separate vlans on a bridged
device, it's possible that all the ports will end up bridged together
at some point during crash/bootstrap/boot. If this really is possible
it does give one the willys about using it as a router on the bare
internet.

Would be simple enough to test I guess.

Andy