Re: Installing NetBSD to Banana Pi SATA HD

On 02/10/16 10:10, Dan MacDonald wrote:
I have successfully got NetBSD 7 installed and running on my Banana Pi on
an SD card but now I'd like install it to my SATA HD. Does a guide exist
that explains how to do this?

Last night I used sysinst to partition and format my HD. I also had some
success in getting it to install the OS (after using the custom mode to
de-select the missing kernel package and fixing the HTTP URL) too but it
failed some unnamed sanity check at the last minute. I think I may have
more luck using my laptop to simply copy the root partition off the SD and
onto the HD.

I am presuming that if I take this route, I should be able to get away with
simply modifying fstab to point to the correct root partition (wd0a) and
changing boot.scr to boot off wd0a too or might anything else be required?
When I tried this last night after using sysinst to install a minimal base
system, boot paused for some time when it came to looking for the root
device and then I got a USB-related kernel panic.

I have these to run my BPI from a SATA HD

bpi# cat /boot/uEnv.txt
bootargs=root=wd0a
aload_script=fatload mmc 0 0x43000000 bananapi/script.bin;
aload_kernel=fatload mmc 0 0x48000000 netbsd.ub; bootm 0x48000000;
uenvcmd=run aload_script aload_kernel

bpi# cat /etc/fstab
# See /usr/share/examples/fstab/ for more examples.
/dev/wd0a       /               ffs     rw      1 1
/dev/wd0b       none            swap    sw      0 0
/dev/ld0e       /boot           msdos   rw      1 1
kernfs          /kern           kernfs  rw
ptyfs           /dev/pts        ptyfs   rw
procfs          /proc           procfs  rw
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   rw,-m=1777
tmpfs           /var/shm        tmpfs   rw,-m1777,-sram%25
bpi#

Also, when sysinst was downloading the tarballs I noticed the TX LED didn't
blink. In fact I haven't seen it blink at all whilst I've been running
NetBSD on my BPi. Is this a known bug? It works fine under Linux.

No-one has added the code, I guess.

Can we expect power off for the BPi to be implemented too, maybe for 7.1?

Does the BPI support this?

Nick