Re: mk.conf for crosscompiling pkgsrc

Lloyd Parkes <lloyd%must-have-coffee.gen.nz@localhost> writes:

>> On 8/02/2016, at 8:51 AM, Marina Brown <marina%e271.net@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any example mk.conf for cross compiling pkgsrc stuff for
>> raspberry PI 1 out there ?
>
> In general, pkgsrc can’t be cross compiled. This is because there are
> no rules governing how a package might need to be built. NetBSD’s
> source on the other hand has clear rules about how it is built, which
> is why it can be cross compiled.

That is true, however some packages can be cross compiled, and people
have done real cross compilation from pkgsrc.  It's just that many will
fail.  I'd like to see more of this work over time, but it's a lot of
effort to fix (upstream) packages that aren't cross-clean.

> The nearest you can get is to use distcc to distribute C compiler jobs
> to systems that are much faster than the Raspberry Pi. The idea is
> that you use distcc as your pkgsrc C compiler on the Raspberry Pi and
> distcc takes care of passing work items that can be cross compiled to
> an x86 system that will cross compile it.

Michael Blatt posted a link.  This approach should completely work; it's
just that things not usable by distcc will still run locally, and thus
be slow.