Re: BeagleBone Green anyone?

On 10/16/15 8:07 AM, John D. Baker wrote:
While strolling through my (relatively) local MicroCenter, I happened
upon a number of BeagleBone Green boards.  Although tempted, I resisted
as it was not clear how they differed from BeagleBone {,Black}.

Since then, I've had a look ("http://beagleboard.org/green/";) and it
appears that the primary differences are:

   USB device port is only power input.
   +5V barrel connector power input replaced with USB host port
   HDMI connector eliminated in favor of two "Grove" connectors.

So, I suspect the kernel for BeagleBone should "just work" as long as
one uses the UART0 connector (or USB device port?) for console.

Anyone else tried this variant yet?

I have not yet tried this variant; however, I recently tried getting my BeagleBone White (the original) running again, and ran into a few issues:

On 7.0 (and probably -current), an edma0 issue which causes problems when the default image ("armv7.img") tries to resize root. A kernel with edma0 commented out seems to work ok. (A PR exists for this, which I'm having trouble finding)

On -current, ld0 (the sd card) is no longer detected. (have not yet opened a PR) This is probably related to the improvements in sd handling for RPI, odroid-c1, etc. Haven't had time to track it down yet.

There is also a bizarre issue where I can't load a new kernel into memory without powering it down, but I suspect either pebkac in this instance or some non-netbsd issue.

In short: The beaglebone support seems to have bitrotted a bit, and given how much nicer some of the other arm boards are (rpi2, odroid-c1, jetson tk1) relative to the bbone, it's not clear how motivated anyone is to fix the support. Which is not to say it wouldn't be welcome...

+j