Re: RPI2: can't type to serial console

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a RPI2 and as I lack a HDMI display I want to use it via the serial console (on GPIO pins 8 & 10, power comes via MicroUSB). I get output with boot messages etc., but I cannot type anything. No local echo, no result from things like ^T. But sending a break (kermit: ^\b) works and drops into DDB. Where I again can’t type anything.
>
> Console speed is at 115200 Bd
>
> USB->Serial cable options I’ve checked with equal results include the „official“ USB-to-RPI-Serial cable and a regular USB-to-serial cable with a MAX3232 to convert RS232 +/-12V levels to TTL levels. No difference, so it’s likely not the cable.
>
> Am I the only one seeing this?
> Is there a known remedy?
>
> rpi.img is hard to use with no working console ;-)

Hi Hubert,

Interestingly, I had the same behaviour with my homemade serial cable
with a MAX3232 converter, using the GPIO pins as you described: I
could get the output with boot messages but couldn't get the RPi to
hear me. It was on a RPi B+ with Jun's image a couple of months ago
(around Feb this year).

JB