Re: 1 lingering question ....

On 8 April 2015 at 23:42, William A. Mahaffey III <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost> wrote:

>>> Thanks for your reply, I don't want to build my own, don't trust myself
>>> there just yet. What do I do to use that prebuilt binary ? I have poked
>>> around that directory recently & all I saw was full images or .txy files,
>>> would I be using some of those or something else ? TIA & thanks again.
>>
>> The kernels live in the binary/kernel subdir, so (currently) assuming
>> you are using the evbarm-earmv6hf distribution, that would be from
>>
>> http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/201504080720Z/evbarm-earmv6hf/binary/kernel/
>>
>> (The 201504080720Z will change over time :)
>>

> OK, I'm there as I write this, do I want the .bin.gz or the plain .gz kernel
> file ? Then what, uncompress it & overwrite my current kernel, or make a
> parallel directory & put it there ? Remember, I am a noob at this & at
> NetBSD in gen'l ....
>
> Update: I downloaded & unzipped the plain .gz.file, which uncompresses into
> an executable for ARM:
>
> [wam@kabini1, ~, 5:38:53pm] 331 % file Downloads/Raspberry/netbsd-RPI
> Downloads/Raspberry/netbsd-RPI: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1
> (SYSV), statically linked, for NetBSD 7.99.9, not stripped
> [wam@kabini1, ~, 5:39:02pm] 332 %
>
> Now what, overwrite my (running) netBSD-7 kernel, create a parallel
> directory, something else (like maybe find this stuff in the handbook, I'll
> get on that) ? Any time-saving clues appreciated :-) ....

On platforms with a bootloader that lets you select a kernel,
typically drop in as a new name and select it at boot time. In your
case you may have to rename awy the old kernel and put it in as
/netbsd.

Do you have another system you an mount the SD card in and mount &
rename back on the (unlikely) case something goes wrong? :)