Re: ntpdate issue ....

On 04/04/15 18:42, Paul Goyette wrote:
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

I like my LAN boxen to reflect time slightly fast, i.e. slightly ahead of local time (just like I have all my clocks set), so I munge around w/ ntpdate & adjtime to effect that. I do in fact run ntpd, as a server for the rest of the LAN, serving up my locally adjusted (slightly fast) time. I have been doing this w/ the incumbent LAN-time server for several years now w/ no issues, although that box has gotten a bit unreliable lately, hence my interest in moving to a newer box for LAN-time service.

Why not just create a custom time-zone with the unusual offset? Then you wouldn't need any local ntp servers at all.

:)

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |

Hmmmmm .... A *quite* interesting suggestion. Some buddies of mine call my time MST, for Mahaffey Std. Time. Unfortunately I don't know quite how to do that :-/ .... Also, would that require changes on all other boxen as well ? I do need ntpd or timed because I do some light developement w/ code resident on 1 box & compiled under make on others, so I *do* need some sort of time synchronization .... However, I *do* like that idea, any clues for me :-) ? Thanks & TIA ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.