Re: 7.0_BETA feedback sought

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 01:01:35PM +0100, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> > Got a newer laptop gifted to me this week and had the great
> > pleasure of booting the latest install image from releng
> > (20150106). Attached is the dmesg. I would have continued with
> > the install except for the lack of wireless and other
> > networking hardware support.
>
> Wireless is probably this one:
>
> > pci3: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, wr/inv ok
> > vendor 0x14e4 product 0x4353 (miscellaneous network, revision 0x01) at pci3 dev 0 function 0 not configured

Seems so.

> [...]
> and that driver supports some of the same chips our "bwi" driver
> does.  I've not managed to find the source of this driver
> (admittedly I've not looked too hard), to see how the BCM43224 is
> handled differently from the other variants supported by that
> driver, but without looking it's my guess is that it should not be
> too difficult (famous last words...) to get it working at least for
> the b/g protocols.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Håvard

It's been a couple years since i looked into obtaining their specs as well. I
remember it not being straightforward. However, i hear they opened a lot of
their specs, so perhaps that's changed.

On another super interesting note, this laptop has an ST accelerometer, which
is supposed to do things like power down the hard disks if the device gets
knocked off the desk. They provide the specs for all their chips:

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/resourceSelector/app?page=fullResourceSelector&doctype=datasheet&SubClassID=444

and platform-independent(tm) drivers with sample C code:

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/productcatalog/app?page=partNumberSearchPage&levelid=SC444&parentid=1885&resourcetype=SW

These appear to be used in Android-based phones (and perhaps others). CC'ing
port-arm@ on this.