Re: DMA driver for BCM2835/Raspberry Pi

On 08/24/14 16:36, Stephan wrote:
Well, I´m trying to get an overview about this topic. I´ve looked at
another SoCs DMA driver from NetBSD (s3c2440_dma.c) and at the FreeBSD
DMA driver for the BCM2835 SoC.

The NetBSD Wiki states a DMA driver and/with a dmover(9) backend is
needed.

Ideally we'd have a generic interface available for dmac users to request channels/transfers and initially I thought dmover could do this for us. I'm not so sure now.

  The s3c2440 DMA driver does not seem to offer a dmover(9)
backend, it looks to me like a bus_dma(9) inerface.

The s3c2440 model isn't exactly what I had in mind either.
Can somebody explain what is needed and to what extent the FreeBSD
driver could serve as a template?

I think we need to invent a new interface here. The FreeBSD driver is probably only good for register definitions.

Nick