Re: USB 802.11 adaptor

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Jochen Kunz
<jkunz%unixag-kl.fh-kl.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 20:51:46 -0700
> Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> It doesn't get that hot so I'd be surprised if it draws a lot of
>> power.
> The problem isn't total power consumtion, but short peaks that exceed
> the max. 0.5 A for USB. This happens e.g. on sending a packet.

Power supplies can often handle short spikes without a lot of impact.
Depending on their design of course.

I think the RPI recommendations for using a powered hub are correct if
a device needs sustained high power. My RPI is stable with the small
wifi adapter and wireless keyboard transceiver filling both USB ports.
Well, under Linux. I haven't tested that with NetBSD yet. I also
haven't pushed it very hard in Linux with this config... Maybe I
should do that before I go on too much more...

I bought a dedicated AC adapter for mine and it has a decent sized
wall wart so I'm hoping that means it can handle spikes.

Andy