Dockstar dev (devdb?) problem at boot time

Hello all,

I'm having a problem that seems like a bug, or maybe I did something
wrong at install time. For example, the /dev/null device is not
created properly. This is the easiest way to explain it:

(andy@dockstar)[~] $ ls -l /dev/null
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Jun 11 05:12 /dev/null
(andy@dockstar)[~] $ su -
Password:
Terminal type is xterm-color.
root@dockstar:~ # cd /dev
root@dockstar:/dev # sh MAKEDEV -f all
root@dockstar:/dev # ls -l /dev/null
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  0, 2 Jun 11 05:15 /dev/null

I'm working around this by adding this to rc.local:

cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV -f all

I'm reading some man pages, including dev_mkdb, but it's not clear to
me what the problem is, or if I caused this somehow.

I cross built this userland from current about 2 days ago. The kernel
is new as of about a few hours ago.

Can someone help?

Andy